Monday, June 4, 2012

A Final Review on Cancun and the Mexican Adventure

We've talked about our flights to and from Cancun, now in the final part of this story I thought I would focus on the main part of my visit to Cancun including my thoughts on the city, the hotel we stayed at and just a bit of an overview of the trip as a whole. If you've been reading my trip posts from earlier, you can gander that it wasn't exactly the greatest trip, but in the end there were some important lessons that were learned and at the end of this post I will share some of what was learned on this trip.

So I've talked about the flights to and from Cancun, let us dive in the main adventure itself. Once leaving customs at Cancun, we were out in the open sun and feeling the warmth. Cancun airport is situated on the far south end of the city, far away from the main city centre and close to all the hotels and resorts; likely to keep the tourists from seeing what Mexico is truly like. Your first instinct upon arriving in Cancun is how beautiful and luscious the city is; from the airport and all throughout the hotel zone is filled with green lawns, huge palm trees and lots of different kinds of flowers. As our bus rolled out of the airport and through the hotel zone, me sipping on a Corona, I couldn't help but think that this is far from the real Mexico that I've learned about in Geography class. Towering hotels, condos and lots of development? This wasn't Mexico, it was an Americanized version of Mexico.

Our bus pulled into the hotel that we were staying at, the Oasis Cancun. This hotel was chosen not only for its price, but also its fun atmosphere. I was a little nervous staying here for a wide variety of reasons. The night before leaving, I mistakenly decided to go onto Trip Advisor and had seen all the horrible reviews that previous customers had left about the hotel and how much of a big drunken party resort that it is. Also, when I had booked this trip I thought arriving 4 or 5 days prior to the start of Canadian Spring Break would be a safe bet. How wrong I was on that on; the place was already packed with youngsters from all over Canada. I had a bad feeling that this week was going to really rough. We checked-in and got the keys to our rooms and soon we were on our way to our home for the week.

When I opened the door to my room, I was quite impressed with how modern it was. It didn't compare to most hotels I've stayed at before, but it was still pretty modern. Apart from my in-room safe not working, everything was in good condition. I just ended up burying my valuables deep in my luggage and checking to ensure they were still there every time I came to my room. I would find out on my first night there that my room was in the worst possible location, right next to the nightclub. The music from that place kept baring till 3 or 4 in the morning and boy it was super loud. I tried everything I could to either change rooms or upgrade to the nearby Grand Oasis Resort, but to no luck and with screaming parties in both rooms next to me, it wasn't going to be a fun week sleep wise.

Trying to get away from all the noise, I decided to go off the resort and explore a bit of the city. Cancun's bus system is fairly good allowing for easy travel throughout the city. I had attempted to find the huge market on the north side of the hotel zone, however I had missed it and ended up staying on the bus hoping that it would eventually turn around. 2 and a half hours later, it hasn't turned around and I ended up on the West side of Cancun in our of the poorest neighborhoods in town. There were quite a few times where I was scared and nervous that something was going to happen, but I made it home safe and sound. But taking that bus gave me a deep insight into what Mexico is truly like and how the people here are living in such deep poverty. If you never  venture off the resort, than you'll never know what Mexico is really like.

Back at the resort, things weren't getting much better. More people started showing up and the drunkenness and loud music kept increasing and the lack of sleep had finally caught up to me. After 4 days of being there, it was just too much for me to handle. Peace, quiet and sleep was all I was looking for and the only way that would come to me was to head for home. Thanks to the friendly reception desk for giving me access to the hotel's computer, I was able to book a flight home the next day. It may have cost me another $300 to leave, but it was necessary. Spring Break in Mexico was just too much to handle for someone who doesn't party or get drunk often. The next morning, I checked out of my room and began the journey home.

So there are a few things I learned from my Mexico experience. First, never book a trip when you've been drinking all afternoon. Do it sober and make sure to do your research, still unsure why I didn't for this trip. Looking at Trip Advisor before booking would have made much more sense instead of the night before departure. Numerous red flags kicked in when I read the reviews and might have helped me pick a better hotel in Cancun instead of experiencing the nightmares first hand. Secondly, going to Mexico during Spring Break was not only stupidly expensive, but highly not recommended if you are looking for some peace and quiet. When you get a bunch of University students who like to drink massive amounts of booze, you might as well say goodbye to the peace. Next time, I'll be going during the off season when it isn't busy and picking a resort that restricts all the crazy stuff I saw there.
But we all have to make mistakes like that throughout our lives right? We learn from them and move on and ensure we don't make the same mistake twice. If anything positive came from this trip it was that it gave me a insight into what Mexico is really like and the conditions that people here are living in. As for my next trip, it will be lots of research like I've done for all my other trips. I wouldn't mind going back to Mexico, I'm just not sure if it'll be Cancun and if it is it won't be for quite a while that's for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment